Free of: Gluten, Dairy, Soy, Egg, Corn,Yeast*
This recipe has many reviews from all the people who have tested it. They all gave glowing reviews. I knew with so many good reports that I needed to try it. This recipe was all that everyone touted it to be. With one modification of my own, to make it egg free, I was in business. All the posted comments were very useful and I used them all. One reviewer even made it yeast free by just omitting the yeast and sugar. I am going to try that tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes.
We not only used this as a sandwich wrap, but we used it today for our new hot dog buns! Next we will be trying grilled cheese sandwiches and cinnamon toast! All the kids declared this a keeper, and it really is!
- 1 cup Authentic Brand superfine brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 tsp xanthun gum (or guar gum)*
- 1 Tbsp instant yeast* (see note below)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp gelatin
- 3/4 cup warm water
- 1 tsp cider vinegar ( I used rice vinegar)
- 2Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 egg replacer eggs (Ener-G eggs made up)
In a large bowl, mix brown rice flour, tapioca starch, sugar, xanthun gum*, salt, and gelatin. In a heavy duty mixer, mix water, vinegar, oil, egg replacer. Slowly beat in the dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Once combined, beat on medium high for 4 minutes.
Line a jelly roll pan with parchment paper. Put a little oil on the parchment and rub a thin coat on. Spoon batter onto jelly roll pan. With a spatula that had been dipped in water, begin to smooth out the dough to the edges of the pan. Try to spread as evenly as possible, filling the pan. Keep dipping the spatula in water as it begins to stick again. Repeat process until done spreading. Using a fork, prick the tops of the dough. Place dough in a warm spot, allowing to rise 35-40 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Bake for 11-15 minutes or until the top is slightly brown. Allow to cool 15-30 minutes before cutting and using it. Cut into the size you would like.
Advice from others who have cooked this:
- to store leftovers, place in a ziploc bag and leave at room temperature to maintain flexiblity.
- can be used as a pizza crust; sprinkle with seasonings and use as a garlic bread, or cheese bread.
- freezes great.
- some people increased the water to a 1 cup. I used the 3/4 cup and water on the spatula and it worked great.
- omit the yeast and sugar, make as usual, to make it yeast free.
- original recipe called for 2 eggs. If you can tolerate eggs, then you can use the eggs. You blend the eggs in with the water, vinegar, and oil. Also, when using the eggs, omit the gelatin.
I tried this recipe without the yeast and it worked great! Thumbs up on this one.
I also used guar gum and it works as well as the xanthun.
Pictures of the process:
Dough in the mixer.
Dough in the pan.