Free of: Gluten, Eggs, Dairy, Soy
Inspired by Nigella Lawson from the Food Network, I made a gluten free version of her Apple Latkes recipe. I have never had an apple latke before but now my family is hooked! I found that in other recipes for latkes there is usually quite a bit more sugar used in the pancake itself. With this recipe you add the sweetness with the maple syrup or the confectioners sugar.
- 1 Ener-G Egg Replacer made according to directions
- 2/3 cup of dairy free yogurt
- 1 cup GF all purpose flour ( I used Cybele Pascal's Gluten Free Flour Blend *)
- 1/2 tsp Xanthan Gum or Guar Gum
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 cup of grated apples ( approx. 2 apples)
- Vegetable Oil for frying
- Combine the flour, xanthan or guar gum, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and sugar together in a bowl and set aside.
- Peel and core the apples. Grate the apples and set aside. Use the largest holes on the grater.
- Make a well in the flour. Add the yogurt, egg replacer and apples. Fold together until the batter is just mixed.
- Pour enough oil in a skillet to come up about a 1/4 inch up the side of the skillet. Heat oil until hot. Drop soup spoon size dollops into the hot oil and flatten the batter with the back of the spoon. Cook 1-2 minutes on each side. They will be golden brown.
- Remove from oil and let them drain on a paper towel lined plate. Serve with maple syrup or powder sugar.
* When you measure out Cybele's Pascal's flour, use a spoon to fill the measuring cup. This avoids the packing of the flour.