I have newly acquired two mini doughnut pans and a doughnut maker. Now that I have all the gear my search for a good recipe started. I searched the internet and found several recipes that were basically all about the same. There were minute differences (a different combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice or slightly more liquid. One recipe used brown sugar instead of granulated sugar.) Here is the basic generic recipe that I gathered and they were really delicious. Just like the movie ---they were Gone in 60 seconds!
- 1 cup of GF Flour Mix (add 1/4 tsp xanthan or guar gum if not in the flour mix)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda* ( see note)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder*(see note)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- dash of nutmeg
- *NOTE: add the baking soda and powder if your GF flour mix does not contain some sort of leavening agent. Omit baking soda and powder if it does.
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Ener-G Egg Replacer egg made according to directions, or 1/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Shortening, 100% Vegetable, Organic
- 1/3 cup dairy free buttermilk ( 1/3 cup dairy free milk+1/2 tsp vinegar or lemon juice)
- Combine all the dry ingredients until well mixed.
- In a bowl mix sugar, egg replacer or pumpkin, shortening, and vanilla extract until they are smooth with no lumps, about 2 minutes.
- Alternate, adding the flour mixture and the dairy free buttermilk. Beat until the mixture is smooth, like a slightly thick frosting about 2 minutes.
- Spoon batter into a pancake pen or a plastic sandwich bag, snip off a corner. Fill the ungreased mini doughnut pan until it is almost full.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes. Remove from the oven. Invert pan and gently tap the pan to dislodge the doughnuts. Move the doughnuts to a wire rack to cool.
- Dip the cooled doughnuts into your glaze and add toppings.
- Chocolate Glaze ---melt Enjoy Life Foods Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips and a little oil, heat in the microwave and stir every thirty seconds. ( I usually don't measure the ingredients for this glaze, but I use roughly 1/2 cup of chips and 1/2 tsp of oil)
- Vanilla glaze --- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar, 1 Tbsp dairy free milk, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract.
- Chocolate Coating --- if you can tolerate dairy you can use candy melts and dip the whole doughnut when completely cooled.
- coconut, sprinkles, cinnamon sugar, chopped peanuts
Note: I used the Cybele Pascal GF Flour Blend and added the xanthan gum. The recipe is located under flour blend.