Free of: Gluten, Soy, Dairy, Egg, Nuts*
- 1/2 cup Shortening, 100% Vegetable, Organic
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 Ener-G Egg Replacer egg made according to directions
- 1/2 tsp GF vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 GF All purpose flour ( I use Cybele Pascal's Gluten Free Flour Blend **)
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup Tillen Farms Maraschino Cherries drained, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup favorite nut chopped (optional)*
- 1 jar India Tree Nature's Colors Raspberry Red Decorating Sugar 3.3 oz
- In a bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt. Set aside.
- Pat the cherries between paper towels to remove excess liquid.
- In a bowl beat together shortening and sugar until fluffy. Add in the egg and vanilla extract.
- Add the flour a little at a time to the creamed mixture. Beat well between each addition.
- Stir in the cherries and nuts.
- If the dough is sticky or wet, add 1 Tbsp of all purpose flour at a time. (I had to add 2 Tbsp to my dough).
- Cover and chill the dough for two hours.
- Shape the cold dough into two logs and roll the logs in the red decorating sugar. Wrap in waxed paper and chill for one more hour.
- Set the oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease your cookie sheets. Cut the cookies in 1/4 inch slices. Cook for 8-10 minutes. Let them rest for one minute on the cookie sheet before removing. Makes approx. 2 1/2 dozen.
|Logs rolled in decorator sugars.|
**When you measure out Cybele's flour, use a spoon to avoid packing the flour, causing you to use too much flour.
Note: If you are looking for Tillen Farm Maraschino Cherries in smaller quantities you can order from the Natural Candy Store.