This is my favorite recipe for gingerbread cookies because it doesn't have a strong ginger-molasses taste. It is much milder and not as spicy as some recipes. If you like a milder cookie give this one a try. Also, we make gingerbread families in our house instead of gingerbread men. Enjoy!
Free of: Gluten, Dairy, Soy, Egg, Corn, Nut
1 1/3 cup GF all purpose flour ( I use Cybele Pascal's Flour Mix)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup Shortening, 100% Vegetable
1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup canned pumpkin
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, guar/xanthan gum, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, cloves, and salt. Stir until well blended.
- In a mixing bowl (I like to use my Kitchen Aid) beat the shortening, brown sugar, and syrup until it fluffy. Add the pumpkin until it is incorporated.
- Gradually add the flour mixture. Blend on a level 2 on a Kitchen Aid or a mix setting on hand beaters for about three minutes.
- Gather the dough to form a ball and place in plastic wrap and chill for 15 minutes.
- Lightly flour your work surface with sweet rice flour, and roll out the dough to 1/4 inch thick. Cut your shapes. Transfer to a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Bake in a preheated oven that is 350 degrees for 11-15 minutes. Let rest on pan for 5 minutes before removing to a plate.
- Makes approximately 12 gingerbread families. If you make them as gingerbread men, you should get approximately 2 dozen cookies.
Frosting to Drizzle:
If you would like to drizzle frosting on your cookies, this is the recipe that I use:
1/4 cup corn free powdered sugar
2 Tbsp coconut milk
Dash vanilla extract
Beat with a beater until smooth. Add a dash of vanilla extract, beat again.
Use a spoon and drizzle over the cookies.