This flat bread dough is made in the bread machine and then rolled flat and cooked stove top. It's perfect for dipping into hummus or making pinwheel sandwiches. I gotta admit I like this recipe better than my oven recipe. The dough is easier to work with and less messy. It is a bit sweeter than the oven version but it is Super Yummy!!
- 1 cup rice milk (warm)
- 1/4 cup water (warm)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup oil ( use your favorite)
- 1 Ener-G Egg Replacer egg made (1-1/2 tsp egg replacer +2 Tbsp warm water)
- 4 cups Cybele's Gluten Free Flour Mix
- 2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp yeast
- Place the wet ingredients in the pan first.
- Mix together all the dry ingredients. Pour a top wet ingredients.
- Set to the dough cycle.
- Roll the dough into 12-15 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into about a 10 inch circle and about 1/8 inch thick. (Use your best judgement.)
- Note here: I rolled out my dough on a flexible plastic cutting sheet. When I was ready to transfer the circle to the pan, I turned it upside down and peeled it off into the pan. If you don't have a flexible surface, try wax paper and flipping it directly into the pan and peel away the wax paper. Be sure not to let the wax paper touch the pan. A Silpat Nonstick Silicone Baking Mat might work here too.
- Preheat a skillet over medium heat. Do not grease skillet. Cook one circle of bread over medium heat, until nicely toasted. About 30-45 seconds per side. (My first ones took longer to brown, about 1 minute per side, but after that they browned more quickly.
- I made all my dough balls and they would dry out a little while I was cooking. By the time I got to my last dough balls, though dry, they still cooked up well.
- If you make them thinner, they remind me of flour tortillas. I am thinking about trying out as such.