I made these at Thanksgiving and they turned out great! This recipe uses Pomona's Universal Pectin.
- 4 cups organic concord grape juice
- 2 cups sugar
- 12 tsp calcium water (make water according to instructions*)
- 4 tsp pectin powder (make according to instructions*)
- Make calcium water (*1/2 tsp white calcium powder and 1/2 cup water in a small jar, mix well). Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan pour in grape juice and sugar. Over medium heat, stirring occasionally bring mixture to a boil.
- While the grape juice is coming to a boil, make your pectin. (*Bring 3/4 cups of water to a boil. Put water in a blender and add 4 tsp of pectin powder. Blend on high 1-2 minutes until all the powder is dissolved, vent lid.)
- When juice mixture reaches a boil, remove from heat. Add pectin, stir well.
- Add 12 tsp of calcium water, stir.
- Pour into sterilized jars leaving 1/2" space from the top.
- I made this jelly to use immediately, if you want to store this for the long term, I would follow Pomona's suggestion by adding lemon juice along with sugar. Process like normal. After filling the jars, process the jars for 10 minutes in a water bath/ steam canner.
- One thing I like about Pomona's Pectin is that they give great suggestions if your batch doesn't jell enough, if it jells too much, and if it isn't sweet enough, or if it is cloudy. Their pectin is very forgiving.