Oyster Sauce is a thick salty/sweet sauce that is an ingredient in many Asian dishes. I searched on the internet for homemade oyster sauce, because I wanted to avoid corn and soy. I combined several recipes that I found and came up with my own.
Below I have listed the alternative ingredients depending on your allergies ( soy vs no soy, or corn vs no corn).
I loved how this one tasted as compared to the store brand, Lee Kum Kee Oyster Sauce. Now I do have to admit that I didn't have time to go through the whole process of boiling chopped oysters and pressing through a sieve, so I cheated and used a bottle of clam juice instead. If you have time and money to prepare the oysters then this would certainly be more authentic, and recommended.
1/2 cup Snows, Clam Juice
3/4 tsp Raw Organic Vegan Coconut Aminos or Gluten Free Soy Sauce
1 tsp molasses
1 tsp fish sauce
1 tsp sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1-1/2 tsp arrowroot starch or cornstarch
- In a small saucepan add all of the ingredients except arrowroot starch.
- Let simmer on medium heat until it begins to boil. Stir occasionally.
- Remove 3 Tbsp of sauce from the pan and place into a small bowl. Whisk in arrowroot starch. Add arrowroot mixture back into saucepan that is slowly boiling.
- Stir until thickened.
- Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- Pour into an airtight container. Refrigerate.
- (Not sure how long this will keep in the refrigerator. I used it the next day.)
For those who don't want a seafood influence I found this recipe at Mangiodasola.com.
I haven't tried it but you could also make this soy free and corn free by using the following adaptions:
1/2 -1 slice of ginger grated
2 Tbsp Raw Organic Vegan Coconut Aminos or GF Soy Sauce
1/2 tsp sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp arrowroot starch or cornstarch
1-1/2 Tbsp water
Add all the ingredients together and microwave it for 30 seconds. ( I think I would prefer to simmer it on the stove and add the arrowroot at the end, like above.)
|Ingredients in the clam juice.|